NCFL/Better World Books Libraries and Families Award – $10,000
Application deadline: Application deadline was February 6th for the 2012 award. Submission dates for the 2013 award have yet to be announced. This annual award is given to three US-based library literacy programs that use innovative approaches to connect with families in their communities. Both previously existing and new programs can apply. Online application cannot be partially completed and saved, but must be entirely completed before being submitted.
Current Funding Opportunities
- Made possible by Better World Books, the NCFL Libraries and Families Award will be given to three U.S.-based library literacy programs that serve families. Ideal for library literacy programs that are making a difference for families and/or have a unique and innovative approach. Applicant must commit to sharing program and participant stories with NCFL and Better World Books on an ongoing basis.
- The award is given to library literacy programs that serve parents and children with a strong intergenerational approach to helping them learn together; exhibit a record of success and a clear plan for a successful project; serve communities and families with high literacy and socioeconomic needs; propose a compelling use of award funding that directly benefits families; and will likely continue after the grant has been expended.
- Project must be based in a library in the United States, implemented by library staff, and grant funds must be awarded directly to a library or library organization (e.g., Friends of the Library groups, library foundations, etc.). See program website for complete requirements.
- Three U.S.-based library literacy programs that serve families will win $10,000 each and scholarships to the National Conference on Family Literacy in 2012 and 2013.
- Applications are submitted online. Applicants are encouraged to carefully read the application thoroughly before filling in responses, because it cannot be partially completed, saved and returned to at a later time. Contact Lisa Avetisian at email@example.com with questions about the application process.
- Applications must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. EST on February 6, 2012, and must be complete.
- Friends of the Dallas Library (Dallas, TX) 2011 award winner for the “Every Child Ready to Read@Dallas” literacy program at the Dallas Public Library.
- San Diego Public Library (San Diego, CA) 2011 award winner for “READ/San Diego”, the adult and family literacy program of the San Diego Public Library.