The Toyota Family Literacy Teacher of the Year Award – $20,000/$2,500
Application deadline: February 1st for the 2012 award. Submission dates for the 2013 award have yet to be announced. This annual award recognizes one teacher ($20,000) and one runner up ($2,500) who has demonstrated exemplary educational practices in promoting family literacy and parent engagement. Applications are submitted online and must be completed by the Nominee’s principal/director/supervisor.
Current Funding Opportunities
- This national award is ideal for teachers who are helping families learn in literacy programs, schools or community-based organizations. Winning educators will participate in NCFL’s extensive outreach activities to promote their practices and programs; the winner will deliver a speech at the National Conference on Family Literacy that will be held in San Diego, California, from March 25 through 27, 2012; and both will present information about their practices at a Featured Session during conference.
- Winners are selected based on the following: a strong intergenerational approach to helping parents & children learn together and/or engage parents in their children’s education in innovative ways; exhibit a record of success; have novel ideas for expanding their program to benefit families and/or reach to engage more families and serve communities and families with high literacy and socioeconomic needs.
- Nominees must work for a family literacy program, Title I schools, libraries, preschools or community organizations based in the United States. See program website for complete nomination criteria.
- One U.S.-based teacher will win a $20,000 grant for his/her program, a scholarship to the National Conference on Family Literacy and publicity for his/her effective approach through the 2013 program year. In addition, one national runner-up will receive a $2,500 grant for his/her program and a scholarship to the conference.
- Applications are submitted online and must be completed by the Nominee’s principal/director/supervisor, with the answer to the final question to be written by the Nominee. Deadline is 11:59 p.m. EST on February 1, 2012. Contact Brenda Logan at email@example.com with questions about the application process.
- KAY BROWN (Bernice, LA) 2010 award winner for her philosophy of expanding the family to reach the entire communityat the Union Parish Family Literacy Center in rural Louisiana.
- MARIA PIÑÓN (Miami, FL) 2009 award winner for her work in building, sustaining and expanding the All-Aboard Family Literacy Program at Riverside Elementary School.